Wednesday, July 31, 2013

How Much is Enough?


How much is enough? Well, that's a tough question. Here is what my training schedule has looked like for the past month:

Monday: All Star Practice 2 hrs
Tuesday: Weights with trainer (we're working on core and upper body strength, not endurance weight training)
Wednesday: Scrimmage 2 hrs (mixed then all star)
Thursday: Weights with trainer
Friday: Lunch plyo/ Open Skate 2 hrs (casual 1 on 1 with coach for strategy, technique and form. I've been lucky enough to have some team mates and fellow friend skaters come work with me)
Saturday: All Star morning practice 2 hrs
Sunday: Rest (or I go on a long slow run, depending on how ancy I'm feeling. Most of the time I go for a run.)

The original plan was to get 2 days of rest in a week. I had my training schedule arranged to where that was actually happening for a while. Two-a-days on Monday's and Wednesdays allowed for me to rest on Thursdays and Fridays (before I was seeing a trainer), but now I'm down to 1 rest day (which I barely even use).

My trainer was proud to hear that I was smart about my rest days, but now that I look at it all (as I'm typing this out), I've been living a lie! I haven't taken 2 rest days in a week in a long time. So am I doing too much? I don't know. Sometimes I don't even feel like what I am doing is enough (physically, that is).

What about the mental rest though? I'm finding myself NOT wanting to go to practice or scrimmage more and more these days. Am I over doing it? Is it catching up to me? How do I know when to take the mental time off? It's hard to tell. Preparing for this big try out has preoccupied so much of my time (and life for that matter).

I've been making some great positive physical changes. I've cut alcohol out of my diet, I'm working hard to eat cleaner, and I've been very strict about my training. The mental aspect is where I'm struggling. It feels like motivation is slipping away.

So what do I do?

Seriously. What do I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment