Thursday, April 21, 2011

Choco-goodness!



When I was a competitive swimmer, I used to crave all sorts of goodies after a workout! Applesauce, tacos, pizza, pasta, bananas, chocolate shakes…you name…I wanted to eat it! I would reach for whatever was in the pantry and ready to eat (which turned out to be one of three things…wheat thins, cookies, or cheez-its) and still be able to maintain my endurance, my muscle, and my shape without any signs of junk foodness.

…Fast forward nearly ten years to the present day! For the most part, I'm a pretty healthy eater. I watch my portions, I don't eat too many sweets (even though I manage a doughnut shop), and I make sure I get in all the food groups throughout the day. For the most part, I'm a grazer. I snack on fruits, eat cans of tuna or sandwich meat slices, handfuls of grape tomatoes and carrots, whatever I can get my grubby little paws on. There are times that require a huge meal though (and I'm talking steak and potatoes!)

After working out now, I get cravings for the same foods that I used to, but I know that my body is different than it used to be. So reaching for those cheez-its (which weren't good for me then) are definitely not going to do me any justice now! It's hard to find a good after workout snack that helps curb cravings AND satisfy a body's needs.

That is why I am proud to say that I have found the perfect after workout snack. It's not for everyone, but it works well for me! For the past year or so, after I work out, I always ALWAYS drink a cold glass of chocolate milk and eat some sort of fruit. I prefer to eat a handful of mixed berries…but that's not always available. If I'm out of fruit, I reach for a couple of slices of turkey sandwich meat.

I've read that the benefits of chocolate milk are comparable to almost any protein shake (and much cheaper and tastier too). I also read in Splash magazine an article (from olympic swimmer/ foodie Garret Weber Gale) about different foods to eat after a swim (or any workout really). Berries and fish topped the list. I'm no nutritionist, but I trust olympic swimmers and I sure feel great after a glass of chocolate milk (who doesn't?)

What's your favorite after workout snack?

No comments:

Post a Comment