Monday, August 13, 2012

Camping happens.

A film of dust dirt and grime covered my body. My hair, oily, wirey and curling in ways I didn't know were possible. There are bruises in places there shouldn't be, blisters the color of coffee beans on my feet. Muscles so sore they felt like they're going to fall off my bones. Rocks and sticks dug into my back as I laid under the stars thinking, "I just got my ass kicked by an 11 year old…in Yahtzee."

The trip started Saturday morning. We loaded up the cars, leashed up the dogs in the back seat, and drove out east! Our destination? French Peat Campground in the Willamette National Forest. We drove for 2 hours…only to realize I had led us too far east for 40 miles. We turned around and finally found our turnoff. Once we got to the campground, we scoped out a spot far away from all car and foot traffic. Nestled in a circle of old trees with a man made fire pit with the rock scattered river shore just steps away. We set up our tents, built a fire and roughed it for three days and two nights. 

Pure zen. While the boys went to the hot spring, I stayed behind to watch our things and ended up building an amazing fire by the river. I spread out a blanket for the dogs. They snoozed as I sat staring into the flames and soaking up the alone time. I spent a lot of time in solitude on this trip. Sunday, I took a hike with Roc C on the Three Sisters Wilderness Trail. Just me, Rox, and nature. We found an amazing spot full of tiny water falls and babbling river. She dove right in…and quickly swam back to shore! I got in too…but not all the way. It was FREEZING.

I also floated on the River Rat tube next to where we set up camp. Anchored the rope to some rocks in the middle os the river and let the current move me around. My spine and back were numb from the cold water, but it felt amazing to be floating. 

Then Cory and Todd started cooking an amazing steak and veggie dinner, and that's when it happened. Elijah (Todds son) schooled me in Yahtzee! I couldn't believe it. I mean, here I am, 28 years old and can't even remember the RULES to Yahtzee, and he schools me. Not only did he have to explain the whole game to me (because I hadn't played it in so long) but he also racks up these points. He was pretty strategic with some of the hands he rolled. Leaving the bad ones and holding out for the high ones. 

Right after the steak and veggie dinner, we all loaded up in the car and headed down to the hot spring.  Probably not the smartest idea but it felt good. When we got back to the camp site, we made smores (next level style…with pop tarts!) and I crashed on a towel by the fire. Cory woke me up and sent me to the tent. I layed in the tent, in complete darkness. I've never experienced a pitch black darkness. I layed there with my eyes open for quite some time. 

I thought about a lot on the trip, have a lot of ideas for the 29 before 30 (including a trip to Hawaii). I'm pretty zoned out and tired still…maybe not the best time to write a blog entry. Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment