Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Long time no post!

Sitting here watching Dawn Harper crush the women's 100m hurdles. Distracted by athletics once again.

It's been a while since I last posted! I've been thinking about blogging these past couple of days. Not sure why or where or how reliable I'll be with the blog, not because I don't want to blog, but simply because of the lack of time and the lack of ideas for topics.

What have I been up to that has taken up so much of my time? Well, it should be no surprise. Roller Derby! I began coaching a full contact junior team, I pulled myself from the ECRG All Star roster, I got a new job, and I've begun exploring new hobbies. 

The name of my junior team is the "Executies". I coach along side Mamaskatrixx, who is one of THE MOST incredible women I have ever met. I'm very inspired by junior derby. It's so much more exciting than watching adult derby. They skate harder and with more passion. Their game is a lot faster and their nimble and flexible enough to pull off moves one can only dream of pulling off. This team has quickly turned into my favorite part of my derby career. To be able to pass along my knowledge of the game while learning new techniques from younger skaters is the most amazing and gratifying feelings.

As far as removing myself from the All Star roster, well that was due to a few things. I've been dealing with knee issues for quite some time, and this season has been the worst. I tore my medial patellofemoral ligament in my right knee (now now this is nothing new!) and it's given me more grief than ever this season. I felt it was only fair to the others that I drop from the roster and focus on healing. However, I didn't focus for long enough. I returned back to derby after two months of being off skates and jumped straight into full contact again. During our last bout of the season, my knee cap slid out of place and pulled right back in, but my knee swelled to epic proportions and I couldn't walk for days. Needless to say, I'm refocusing on the healing. I'm returning to skating without contact next week. I also experienced a bit of burnout, which I assume doesn't help the injury.

I also started working for Symantec! I left the doughnut business and took a job as a Sales Development Executive (fancy, huh!) I now have killer health insurance and a M-F schedule. It feels nice to not come home covered in flour and sprinkles every day, but I do miss the heavy lifting. Symantec is a great company to work for! Plenty of room for growth, wonderful co workers, and free gym membership and fitness classes! I now take Yoga, 3 times a week! 

Last but not least, I've been exploring new hobbies. I've learned that I'm quite the little nature bug! I've been camping, hiking, and exploring river paths close to my home. My team mate, Medusa, is going to take me backpacking (for my first time) in September! I can't wait. I've been looking at backpacking equipment and reading articles on backpacking adventures. I love the feeling of reconnecting with nature and bringing out the survivalist in me! 

It's basically been a nice ride, these past months. I'm growing and changing, but my love for the sport of derby keeps getting stronger and deeper. I'm coming up on 6 years of playing! This season I'm really focusing on my mental game and my teams (I forgot to mention, I am putting a lot of time and energy into our B team right now! I love it!) I've begun my pre season training and have been slowly changing my diet in an effort to maximize my performance. So far, so good. 

I hope to post more during this pre season. I'm just not quite sure what to post about. I have tons of ideas floating around in my head, including:

tracking my training/diet
goal setting
hiking/camping adventures
and a special project I'm working on, 29 before 30 (just you wait! It's not what you think!)

Maybe I'll even link my instagram and give you all some better photos of what's going on in my little world. 

Until next time (whenever that may be), I leave you with this:

"If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther." - John Wooden

No comments:

Post a Comment